What to do if you suspect your pet has been poisoned.
Please phone us immediately (016977 2318) you suspect your pet has eaten something that may be poisonous.
This means that we are prepared and can get information on how toxix the substance may be and what treatment may be needed.
Always bring any packaging with you, even if it seems obvious what has been consumed.
Don’t try to make your pet vomit; we have a very efficient and safe injection for making your animal sick.
Whenyou bring your pet to the surgery, please have someone travel with you, if possible, to help if you pet vomits or to stop your pet from grooming if the poison is on the animals coat.
Common Serious Poisons
|Paracetamol||very poisonous to cats|
|Chocolate (especially cooking chocolate)||cats and dogs|
|Antifreeze (only have to lick a small amount)||cats and dogs|
|Rat and mouse bait (can have prolonged action)||cats and dogs|
|Xylotol (sugar free sweetener e.g., some chewing gums)||very poisonous to dogs|
|Lilies (especially pollen groomed off contaminate hair)||cats and dogs|
|Slug bait (only a few pellets may be fatal)||cats and dogs|
|Spot on Flea Products (permethrin or pyrethroid)
(Don’t use on your dog if you have cats)
|very poisonous to cats|
|Blue Green Algae (take heed of local warnings)||cats and dogs|
|Human Vitamin Tablets (may contain iron)||cats and dogs|
|Grapes and Raisins (individual sensitivity)||cats and dogs|
|Onion, garlic and chives
(Cats and some individual dogs)
|cats and dogs|